The U.S.S. Williamsburg was originally built as a private yacht in 1930 as Aras at the Bath Iron Works shipyard and served in the U.S. Navy from 1941 to 1953 as a gunboat and presidential yacht for Truman and Eisenhower.
Williamsburg, formerly known as The Floating White House, comes with a new look thanks to the recent refit project by GreenYachts. The proposal is to transform the Williamsburg in a modern yacht while keeping intact the unaffected charm and classic style that has always distinguished the original design.
The details that make style
The vertical bow is in line with the current trend style, a slender stern cantilevered over the water, elements that are maintained and amplified thanks to moldings and color effects. All the windows have been revised in order to increase the visibility and natural lighting of the interiors. Layout includes the lower deck area reserved for guests and crew cabins, a spacious and bright living room where is placed, on the main deck, an original contemporary styled fireplace, place of meeting and conversation.
Mini documentary by yachtsforsaleblog.com
Old footage from 1945 with interior pictures
The slender hull with streamlined water lines is ideal for hybrid propulsion, able to ensure excellent performance even in rough seas, as widely tested in the years when it was used with the function of an armed escort in the Northern Seas.
On the upper deck the owner cabin with a front view and independent access to the sundeck, in the aft area the study with direct access to outside sundeck also used as a landing zone for the helicopter. All exterior decks are free and used as a sundeck for guests, two fast displacement tenders in carbon-look are positioned on the outer sides, while the tender rib is housed in the bow deck.
Decks and external lines
The Design by GreenYachts, enhances the classic lines of Williamsburg, completing the forward gunwale to protect the sundeck area in front of the master cabin. Large windows for the wheelhouse and owners cabin, to allow maximum visibility inside-out. Construction of new side panels in contrasting colors along the walkways of the first and second decks to allow a more streamlined side profile. The central chimney is maintained as a characteristic element, inside of it are channeled ventilation and extraction keeping the sides without flanks and grids. Evident in the side of the hull, the large portholes on the lower deck positioned to provide more natural light and water level view to guests accommodations. Original also the geometry of top bow shapes to be used for mooring and at the same time as support of flag’s pole, these horizontal cuts enable to achieve a better forward view from the master stateroom.
Picture Source: Wreck pictures – “Williamsburg 2” by HdK – Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 via Wikimedia Commons
Old pictures: Public Domain via Wikipedia